DISTANCE: 1.2 MILESTIME: 45 MINUTES
ELEVATION: 617 FT
DIFFICULTY: MODERATE
The Rock Climber's Loop Trail is one of the shorter hikes in Mission Trails Regional Park, one of my favorite places to hike. I parked at the Old Mission Dam off of Father Junipero Serra Trail, and walked westward along the paved road for about 20 minutes
until I reached the trailhead, which is on the north face of what is known as Kwaay Paay peak (one of the five peaks in the park, and another good hike). The trailhead is actually closer visitor center (right), so I recommend starting there, where you can get a free trail map of all the trails in the park.
Though this is a short hike, it ascends 407 feet very quickly through a series of switchbacks. I would imagine that the rock climbers get pretty tired making the climb with all of their gear. At the top is a rock climber's playground. I don't rock climb, but I would guess that this is a good place to learn. Although the rocks were very large and plentiful, I would not put them in the "enormous" category. They also looked like they had many gripping spots.
The trail meanders along the base of the boulders, then begins the descent through another series of switchbacks down to the bottom where it meets up again with Father Junipero Serra Trail. This is a short fun hike for anyone in decent shape.
No comments:
Post a Comment