Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Wooded Hill

DISTANCE: 1.5 MILE LOOP
TIME: 1/2 HOUR
ELEVATION: 6,223 FT
DIFFICULTY: EASY
32° 51' N; 116° 26' W

Although the summit of Wooded Hill ranks 6th among the highest peaks in San Diego County, there is little to distinguish this "hill" from other surrounding high points in the Laguna Mountains merely because much of the plateau of the Lagunas is already near the 6,000 ft mark. That being said, Wooded Hill is unique because it is the only notable summit in the Lagunas covered with tall pine trees (Monument Peak and Stephenson's Peak are mostly brush). While the other peaks sit on the edge of the escarpment of the Lagunas that overlooks the desert, Wooded Hill sits quietly in the southwest corner of the main Laguna area.

The trailhead is located off a deteriorating road that crosses the Sunrise Highway (S1) a few miles south of the Laguna Mountain Lodge. The southern segment of the road is Morris Ranch Road, while the northern segment is Wooded Hill Road. About a half mile north on Wooded Hill Road there is a dirt area where cars can be parked, and a sign designating the trailhead. A box for trail guides was empty at the time of my hike.

The trail is a figure 8; the lower loop is about a mile, while the upper loop is about 1/2 mile. The summit is located on the upper loop. The elevation gain is gradual, and most of the trail is shaded by tall pine trees; the trail is also suitable for mountian biking. Several objects have been marked with numbers along the way, but without a trail guide, the numbers are meaningless. At the crossroads of the 8 there is a sign indicating distance in each direction.


When we did this hike, we came across a Navy soldier on an orienteering exercise. I thought he was a Marine because he was dressed in camo, and I didn't expect to see Navy guys training out in the middle of the mountains. He had a map and compass, and I had my GPS. He came across as confident that he knew where he was, but when he pointed to me on the map where he thought he was, I knew one of us had to be very wrong. I told him where I thought we were, and he didn't buy it at first. A few minutes later he timidly asked if he could check my GPS. I knew we were at the summit and the elevation confirmed it. But I must admit he had me doubting myself for a moment.

There isn't much of a view at the top because of the surrounding trees, so despite it's elevation, don't expect a panorama of any kind. If you stand on a rock and look south you'll be able to see Tecate peak and a few other San Diego peaks near the Mexican border. There is a hiker's log box a few paces down from the high point of the summit area.

No comments: