
GOOGLE EARTH COORDINANTS:
32*58'52 N, 117*06'58 W
ELEVATION: 1,542 FT
HIKE DISTANCE: 3.7 MILES
HIKE TIME: 1.5 HOURS
DIFFICULTY: EASY
There are several ways to climb this mountain, located in Rancho Penasquitos. The easiest approach is up a service road on the south side that winds gradually up to the top. The service road is wide, and a little rocky on some parts. I slipped today on my way down and scraped my knee and hand a little. The top of this mountain has a lot of radio/microwave equipment that is visible for miles and miles. When I was growing up, I used to think it was some kind of creepy castle at the top (see picture below). Normally the peak offers great views in all directions, including Big Bear, Catalina Island, Cuyamaca Peak, and the Coronados. Today however, it was a bit hazy, so there wasn't much worth looking at when I got to the top. In the future I will post a description of a hike up the northwest side, which is much more challenging.
Looking down on "The Hill of Death" (top), and "The Castle" (bottom)
1 comment:
Did with Audrey in the backpack 11/21/06.
Post a Comment