
ELEVATION: 1,174 ft
DISTANCE: 2 MILES
TIME: 45 MIN.
DIFFICULTY: MODERATE
After living in Rancho Bernardo for almost 18 years, I finally climbed this mountain. Westwood Mountain is shaped like a turtle's back, so the first 10 minutes of the hike are the steepest, and it only gets easier from that point. The trail is wide, steep, and rocky at first, then becomes narrower and narrower. There were a few spots where I had to glance around to make sure I was still on the trail. The brush is about ankle high most of the way up. At the top and looking to the east, one can see a beatiful panorama of Rancho Bernardo.

At the highest point there is a flagpole that stands about 20 feet high, and there is an army lock box full of notes of climbers. According to a printed note taped to the box, it was left there by a guy named Bill who works nearby and hikes the mountain every weekday at lunch.
No comments:
Post a Comment